Nebraska Paranormal Society
News: Next Public Meeting: July Meeting: 3.15.2017, HiWay Diner, 2105 Hwy2; 7:00pm-9:00pm, Meeting Topic: Do Ghosts Have ESP?  See Everyone There!!!!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 21, 2019, 06:47:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ghost Box  (Read 4111 times)
amwell

« on: October 18, 2009, 07:09:46 AM »

Forgive me for this topic already being covered but.... Grin
I want to know more about the concept!
So calling all Techies out there!!!

How is it theoretically suppose to work?
Where can you get one?  How can you make your own?
Are there many different types?
Any personal experiences with them?
How do they relate to white noise?
Is there any law in physics that supports the principle of a ghost box?
JimS
Webmaster
Administrator
Jedi

Ghost in the Machine

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:58:10 AM »

I want to know more about the concept!

I'll give it a shot...

How is it theoretically suppose to work?

The box provides raw audio for spirits to manipulate to form recognizable speech. The raw audio consists of fragments of words, music, and noise produced by a radio continuously scanning the AM or FM broadcast bands. This is similar in theory to the white noise method of EVP recording, but is claimed to work better.

Where can you get one?  How can you make your own?

The original "Frank's Box" version was created by Frank Sumption. I understand that he would give you one if he thought you were worthy, but as far as I know, he does not make them for sale. There are probably less than 50 in existence at this point, although he continues to develop and refine the design. There are plans on the internet for some of his early versions, but technical knowledge is required to build them. A company named Paranormal Systems is marketing the "Mini Box" series of devices, which are based on the Frank's Box concept.

Frank Sumption's web site is at http://frank.xm.com/.

There are also several models of scanning AM/FM radios, most notably the Radio Shack models, which can easily be modified for continuous scanning. One such radio was demonstrated at a recent NPS public meeting. The older models have been discontinued, but still may possibly be found in some stores, and show up on eBay now and then. I believe there was also a Grundig model that has been used. I would be happy to modify such a radio free of charge for anyone in the Lincoln area who can find one. I wouldn't suggest paying an outrageous eBay price for a $20 radio that has had a 5-minute modification done to it.

Do a Google search for "Radio Shack ghost box hack", or something along those lines.

Are there many different types?

There are probably as many different variations as there are people who are trying to build one. The field is wide open for experimentation. A notable variant is the Spiricom device which was invented some years ago, before Frank Sumption began his work. The Spiricom was quite a bit more complicated, using an array of audio tones and a radio link for spirits to play with. It's use is still controversial, and it is believed by some to have been a hoax.

http://www.worlditc.org/k_06_spiricom.htm

Any personal experiences with them?

Personally, no. I have heard some interesting things on recordings made by Rosemary Ellen Guiley.

http://www.visionaryliving.com/category/evp-itc/

How do they relate to white noise?

The basic concept is the same, but my understanding is that the fragments of voice and music give the spirits better material to work with. White noise broadband noise that contains every frequency in the audio range. The Ghost Box audio fragments, in theory, contain frequencies and combinations that are more suitable for spirits to use to create speech sounds.

Is there any law in physics that supports the principle of a ghost box?

Not that I know of in conventional physics. To me, the whole idea of the ghost box method of EVP implies that the spirits have to  somehow know in advance what sounds will come out of the box so they can manipulate them as they require. I can't think of any laws in conventional physics that would allow for that. Maybe someone else will weigh in on this point.

In Quantum Physics, there may be some concept that would allow for this. The whole world of Quantum Physics is full of wild ideas and notions, so anything may be possible.

I hope this helps.

-Jim

JimS
Webmaster
Administrator
Jedi

Ghost in the Machine

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 11:05:56 PM »

Here's a link to a PDF file of an interview that Rosemary Ellen Guiley did with Frank Sumption, for TAPS Magazine. With pics of some boxen.

http://www.visionaryliving.com/pdfs/FranksBox.pdf

See also the sidebar. "What's the Deal with Frank's Box?"

-Jim

JimS
Webmaster
Administrator
Jedi

Ghost in the Machine

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:08:01 PM »

"Ovilus, Speakjet, Frank?s Box, and all the other Gadgets"

http://www.paranormal-tips.com/?p=173

Roger
NPS Member
Master

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 10:45:03 PM »

Ok, I'll have a stab at this subject even though this is an old posting, none the less the subject is still popular.  Personally I am critical of this approach mainly due to the fact that it is based on wild assumptions that these entities somehow have the knowledge to manipulate a complicated electronic circuit in order to cause it to stop scanning at a precise moment to pick up a word fragment being transmitted through the air from a radio station at some location perhaps at a great distance from the box.  Here is one problem I see with this approach.  While it may seem that the signal from a radio station is instantly received by the receiver, such is not the case.  The radio waves are traveling at approximately 170,000 miles per second which is nearly the speed of light (186,000 miles per second) there is a time delay from when the signal was transmitted to when it is received by the box.
I guess I'm having trouble understanding how an entity would have the ability to anticipate what is going to be transmitted and intercept so to speak the signal when it arrives at the box and lock it down to construct some kind of message?  This is making an assumption that these entities have a keen understanding of the electronic circuit contained within the box and know how to manipulate these electronics in such a way as to construct some form of conversation from the box.  For these reasons and many others, I must confess that I remain highly skeptical of such technology because it requires too much of a stretch of expectation from these entities.
Roger
MattM - TornadoKnight
NPS Member
Professor

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 04:01:52 PM »

Heh.  Sounds like you & Jim have been talking.

It's interesting.  But It seems a bit sketchy at best, to me.
   Huh?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: