Nebraska Paranormal Society
News: Next Public Meeting: July Meeting: 3.15.2017, HiWay Diner, 2105 Hwy2; 7:00pm-9:00pm, Meeting Topic: Do Ghosts Have ESP?  See Everyone There!!!!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. June 20, 2018, 06:50:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TIME SLIP  (Read 1903 times)
Roger
NPS Member
Master

« on: January 25, 2012, 11:40:18 AM »

Ok, I've been reading a few things regarding experiences with what appears to be Time slip where people claim to have interacted with past places and or people.  While this all sounds fascinating and would open up a whole new world of possibilities lets take a closer look at the mechanics of it.  First of all, let me try to put in simple terms the relationship between time, matter and space.  The universe as we know it is composed of matter and energy in space and is in motion.  Time as we are now well aware of has a profound affect on both matter and energy.  Simply put, while we are here on Earth, we observe the environment around us each and every day, we see things like places, buildings etc that have been here for a very long time.  Yet we must remember that at every moment the Earth and the universe is in constant motion hurdling through space and time.  In the time it has taken me to write this, the Earth, our solar system, galaxy and the universe has traveled a very great distance from the point I started this.  What does this mean to the relevance of "Time slip"?  The Earth and everything on it and around it is no longer in the place it was even a second ago and given what we understand about physics in order for us to interact with a past event such as described in Time Slip experiences would seem to suggest that somehow we have been transported back through time and space to a different period.  It is the issue with space or distance that has me questioning the whole concept of Time Slip.  Even though I have remained at my desk relatively motionless writing this, I have traveled a vast distance through space.  What mechanism would permit us to somehow transport ourselves back along the path our planet and ultimately our universe has taken from this point to some point in the past?  The energy necessary to create such an effect (in classical physics) would be beyond our imagination and certainly if such a condition could be manifest  I'm positive that we would be aware of the trip.  If, as most leading scientists will agree that time travel into the past is virtually impossible then what could account for these experiences?  I will not call someone a liar or say they were on some kind of drug trip when they had such experiences as I believe that some people truly have had some form of unexplainable experience.  The only plausible explanation I have would be the possibility of alternate dimensions co existing with our own wherein on very rare occasions people have crossed into and back out of.  As of yet we are unable to create a gateway between our own reality (space/time dimension) and an alternate one, we have no way of knowing how time may flow in an alternate dimension.  What I'm trying to say here is, while in this dimension the date may be 2012 (at the time of this writing) it may be a totally different time period in an alternate dimension.  As of yet we still are unable to totally describe the fabric of time and space, it does seem to me that as with everything we do know it is most likely imperfect and may have an occasional flaw in it like a rip or tear that permits passage from one dimension to another and hopefully back again. Without getting too deeply bogged down into all the theories surrounding the concept of alternate dimensions, this does seem to make a degree of sense as to what might be happening when individuals experience Time Slip.  To some degree this could also explain a lot of paranormal experiences in general.  What if when we claim to see a ghost or some form of paranormal phenomena that what we really are seeing or experiencing is some kind of interaction with an alternate universe?  Just food for thought here.
Roger   
JimS
Webmaster
Administrator
Jedi

Ghost in the Machine

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 02:31:08 PM »

Ah yes, the "inconvenient truth" of time travel - one that just about every time travel story I have ever seen conveniently avoids. I have pondered this same question myself. I'll try to offer some rational thought on what may be going on.

One of the accepted notions is the idea of the residual haunting. The idea that events are somehow "recorded" by the surroundings. This may be one clue. We don't understand the nature of these "recordings", or how they might happen. Are the events "recorded" in the objects around them, in the fabric of spacetime itself, or leaking through from another "dimension" as suggested? Each idea presents problems of it's own. How do objects "record" events? Do we drag bits of spacetime with us as we move through it? How do we "contact" something in another dimension that is presumably moving through it's own spacetime, quite possibly randomly with respect to our own? I think that we may find some answers in quantum physics.

Consider that we may be leaving a "trail" behind us as we move through spacetime. This isn't as absurd as it sounds, when you consider the idea of quantum entanglement. This is the idea that, basically, two particles that become entangled can be separated by any distance, and what happens to one particle will be instantly reflected in the state of the other particle. That's a gross oversimplification, but you get the idea. Suppose as we move through spacetime, we leave behind a trail of entangled particles, much like a person would leave a trail walking through a field of tall grass. We can then follow the trail in either direction if we have the ability to see it. If we accept that quantum particles can theoretically tunnel forward and backward in time, this opens up more possibilities.

It is commonly thought that beings in the spirit world, whatever that is, can travel anywhere instantaneously. It's implied in some theories that the same applies to travel anywhen. Given the points already mentioned, this would seem to not be an easy thing. I can easily travel, say, to Seattle any time I want to by climbing into my car. But in order to get there, I need to know where I am going, or have a map, GPS, or some other kind of guidance; not to mention fuel, and lots of coffee. So it's not quite as simple as it sounds. Following trails? OK, maybe, but who puts up the road signs? It has also been suggested that spirits have access to some store of universal knowledge in order to answer the question of how they can do certain things, but if so, how come they can't seem to find better ways to help us communicate with them?

In his book "The Medium, the Mystic, and the Physicist: Toward a General Theory of the Paranormal", author Lawrence LeShan writes about the concept of being outside of linear time and seeing our entire past, present, and future as one "event". This is an idea that was also explored by "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" in the form of a race of beings known as the "Prophets" who existed inside a stable wormhole. If we accept this, we can look at any event at any time as just another room in the house that we can enter as we desire. But there is still the pesky idea of road signs or spiritual GPS. To me, it's not so much the idea of whether or not it can be done; in a possible infinity, all things are possible. More important, IMO, is HOW it's done.

Maybe these disjointed ramblings can point someone in the direction of an answer. Maybe not. Here's an article I stumbled across on Quantum mysticism. Disclaimer: I haven't had time to read it yet, so don't yell at me.

-Jim

Roger
NPS Member
Master

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 03:45:19 PM »

Jim, Well put would be an understatement here!  Perhaps I over simplified a very complex subject as I'm sure I did.  Your reply takes the issue far further than my original musings but you point out some excellent points here for readers to think about.  I guess what I'm having some trouble with are some of the theories put forward to explain what "Spirits" maybe can do or ways that residual hunting's are manifest. How do we go about testing these theories or attempt to validate the ideas they put forward?  Like yourself, I am seeking explanations to these mysteries and feel that the answers lay in the realm of science.  We can't simply take an explanation on face value without subjecting it to some degree of scientific discipline in order to gain a better understanding of it.  I am not for one second calling anyone who may have experienced "Time Slip" a liar or delusional as I think that many people may have had a real and as of yet unexplained experience.  I am merely trying to figure out how it could be possible in the light of what we understand about physics and the natural world around us.
Roger   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: