Nebraska Paranormal Society
News: Next Public Meeting: July Meeting: 3.15.2017, HiWay Diner, 2105 Hwy2; 7:00pm-9:00pm, Meeting Topic: Do Ghosts Have ESP?  See Everyone There!!!!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. December 14, 2018, 12:17:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Extensively Does Religion Play into Ones Beliefs?  (Read 2634 times)
amwell

« on: December 09, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »

I was pondering over this topic since the last meeting....  I am under the impression that religion/faith maybe one of the main influencing facts of a persons belief in ghosts.  For the obvious reasons that ghosts tend to deal with past death and we use religion to explain what lies on the other side.  Opinions on this topic?  Could we effectively explain death without religion? Well to a satisfactory extent anyways....
mgscherer
Seeker

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 05:29:42 PM »

I believe you said it right when you said we use religion to believe in the afterlife. I feel the same. When death occurs, it is easy to think of what's next with us when we die? Is it blame? Do we blame religion on the afterlife? For me it is easy to split the two and not use blame. It is easy for me as an investigator to do that, where others may not. We have grown up with bible stories and views on the afterlife through church. I feel we can seperate the two with scientific explanations and religious views. I feel some people feel uncomfortable talking against their religiouns and beliefs especially the paranormal. I think explaining death with out religion can be explain without religion if, your ready to step out of the box and see it as it is and not a religious pressure. Pressure I mean is let your mind be open to new things in todays world.
JimS
Webmaster
Administrator
Jedi

Ghost in the Machine

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 10:53:51 PM »

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Do we believe in the afterlife because of religion, or do we believe in religion because of the possible existence of an afterlife? That's an interesting question that Mark's comments bring up. The answer may depend on what early humans began to do first, mourn their dead or try to explain how the universe works. Which did the cave man see first, a god or a ghost?

It seems like most everyone's beliefs in spirits and the afterlife is colored by their religious background. I think that it's more a matter of degree, and depends on the person in question. I have a friend whom I would classify as very Christian, and views literally everything that happens in life through the filter of her faith. Everything good that happens is presented by the light deity, everything bad by the dark deity. Belief in the afterlife and ghosts mostly follows what is written in the holy books, with not much allowance for variations or differences not covered in the books. If it can't be explained by something in the book, it must still be explained by something in the book, and will be explained by someone who understands the book better. For myself, on the other hand, I began to get disillusioned with organized religions at a young age when things just didn't seem to add up to me. As a result of this, perhaps, I tend to take a more scientific view of an afterlife and the existence of spirits or ghosts that can interact with our reality. The books can and do still serve as a frame of reference, but are not the final word (so to speak).

What is interesting to me is when we find that a person's beliefs about ghosts and the nature of the afterlife are at odds with some of the writings in the holy books of whatever faith they adhere to. It seems that it may be natural for us to filter the religious canon through our own personal experiences and observations, and end up with a mix that is often quite different than what is "supposed to be".

-Jim

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: